Friday, January 14, 2011

Yana's Test Kitchen- Popovers and more...

I just couldn't wait to test it, Wednesday night I experimented the BLT recipe for popovers I posted on my previous blog, and to my delight, they were amazing, and just as delicious as they were in the restaurant.
The only adjustment I made was dividing the recipe into 4 because I didn't want to make too many.
My popover recipe below, which makes 6 huge popovers in a muffin pan.
1 cup warm milk
2 eggs
1 cup flour sifted with 1/2 TB spoon of salt
1/2 cup of coarsely grated cheese, I used Parmesan
directions: Preheat oven to 350 and place the muffin pan into the oven so it gets hot. Beat the eggs until they get a little volume, add warm(not hot) milk, slowly add the flour until smooth.
Once the oven is preheated and the muffin pan is hot, take it out, spray each tin with Pam, as well as on top because these babies get big, fill each tin 3/4 way and top with cheese, bake for 50 minutes.  After 15 minutes, turn the pan 180 degrees.  Not only are these delicious, but they are so easy to make and will impress everyone, including yourself.
I couldn't stop there, I also tested out a new recipe I came up with which was inspired by the brussel sprouts I had at BLT Prime.  For Dinner I made Mashed potatoes, grilled chicken with sweet chili sauce and my new bacon brussel sprouts.  Mashed potatoes are easy, just boil water, add salt, add cut up potatoes, I used 5 Idaho potatoes, when soft, drain water, add a little butter and about half cup warm milk, mash until smooth.
I grilled about 6 thin sliced chicken breasts after seasoning with salt, pepper and paprika on both sides, grill until the center of the thickest part is white.  I top the cooked chicken with sweet chilli sauce.
For the brussel sprouts,
4 slices bacon- finely chopped
10 large brussel sprouts- chopped see below image
1 small onion- chopped
directions: fry bacon in a skillet until brown, add onion and continue to saute until golden, no need to add any oil to the pan because the bacon produces alot.  Add brussel sprouts, continue to sautee for about 8 minutes, season to taste with salt and pepper.  I knew this dinner combo will be good, but even I surprise myself sometimes.  Husband went for seconds and thirds, need I say more??  Happy cooking!!!


brussel sprouts cooking


finely chopped brussel sprouts

bacon should get brown

No comments:

Post a Comment