Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Ravioli and BLT Prime

                                         Consider this post a 2 for the price of 1 because Ravioli
                                          has absolutely nothing to do with BLT Prime.
Monday night I had dinner at BLT Prime in Manhattan, on 22nd between Park and Lex.  For those who have never been, I highly recommend, if for no other reason but to taste something very unique, Popovers.  Ive heard of popovers, but never tasted them and even if I did, I'm sure they could never compare to BLT's popovers.  I'm not even sure they are on the menu because they were brought out after we placed our dinner order.  These huge warm balls of dough topped with Gruyere cheese come right out of the oven to your table and are sooo good and will be devoured sooo fast, you will be left wishing that you had a recipe to make these yourself.  How surprised do you think I was to find the recipe right on the table after they were all gone, that's right, yours truly has the recipe and I'm willing to share.  Although these popovers were definitely the highlight of the night, the dinner itself was excellent.  I took a picture of my pretty plate with a filet mignon and all 6 side dishes that were delicious.  Sweet potato mash, stuffed mushroom(which was my least favorite) creamed spinach, mac and cheese, roasted asparagus and really amazing brussel sprouts.  The thing about me and my love for new restaurants is that I love trying new dishes that I can incorporate into my own cooking, and I hit jackpot not only on the popovers but also on the brussel sprouts. They were fried with onions and bacon, and you can be sure that sometime in the near future, I will be posting a recipe that will resemble the dish from BLT.
So this brings me back to my own kitchen and our Tuesday night dinner. I made Ravioli with Chicken Sausage. Who doesn't like Ravioli?? Pasta with some kind of delicious stuffing, what can be bad?  My earliest childhood cooking memory was watching my Mom make hundreds of ravioli, I was fascinated with the whole process and just wanted to make some myself.  However 20 plus years later I still have not tried my luck at making my own, so I delegate the responsibility to Trader Joe's which sell very good 4 cheese  ravioli that take 8 minutes to boil :O)
Meanwhile, in a skillet I saute a large onion, I cut in thin rings and then cut those rings in half, once the onions are golden, I add cut up cooked chicken sausage, (sweet Italian also from trader joe's) and saute the onions and sausage for about 5 minutes, I then add about half cup chopped fresh spinach, for nutritional purposes and for the pretty green color it adds. By this point, the ravioli should be fully cooked, I drain the water from the pot and add the ravioli to the skillet with the sausage, mix together, cook for another minute or 2 and done.  Fast, delicious and another home cooked meal idea for you to try.
Enjoy.
As promised, the popover recipe.  *Disclaimer, i haven't tried this recipe yet, but will very soon.
Popovers
Makes 12
Ingredients
4 cups milk, warmed
8 eggs
4 cups flour
1-1/2 heaping Tbsp salt
2-1/4 cups grated Gruyere cheese
Preparation
Place the popover pan in the oven.  Heat the oven and pan to 350 degrees.  Gently warm the milk over low heat and set aside.  Whisk the eggs until frothy and slowly whisk in the milk (so as not to cook the eggs).  Set the mixture aside.  Sift the flour with the salt.  Slowly add this dry mixture and gently combine until mostly smooth.
Once combined, remove the popover pan from the oven and grease LIBERALLY — the top as well as inside the cups.  While the batter is still slightly warm or room temp (definitely not cool), fill each popover cup 3/4 full.  Top each popover with approximately 2 Tbsp of the grated Gruyere.
Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes, rotating pan half a turn after 15 minutes of baking.  Remove from the oven, remove from the pan and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment