Sunday, January 9, 2011

Breakfast for Dinner!

 This is not an ordinary omelet and potatoes you get at a Diner.  This is gourmet and it was on the dinner menu tonight.  A baked omelet and pan fried potatoes is a super easy dish to make and very delicious.   My husband even created a special name for this type of dish, he calls it an "Egg Meal", and makes special requests for it all the time.  You can make an egg meal for breakfast, lunch or dinner.  
I start off with baking 3 medium sized Idaho potatoes in the microwave, only because this is the fastest way to get them cooked. Once they are done and soft, take them out and cut into cubes.  Pan fry in a skillet with olive oil, and season with salt, pepper and paprika for beautiful reddish color.  I cook this while I'm adding ingredients to the omelet, total cook time for potatoes is about 10 minutes or until they get that brown crispy look.
For the eggs, I start with an iron skillet or any heavy skillet that can go into the oven, I diced the following ingredients: ( you can use pretty much any veggies you have in the fridge)
1 sweet Italian cooked chicken sausage ( you can use any cooked meat, turkey, etc)
1/2 zucchini
1/3 red pepper
few stems of broccoli ( cut up into small pieces)
a bunch of fresh spinach leaves
cook all ingredients for about 2-3 minutes, add eggs or egg whites. I used a combination of both, about a cup of egg whites and 2 large eggs.  Just make sure you use enough to cover your skillet half way up.
I topped with Feta cheese ( you can use any cheese, cheddar, mozzarella, etc) continue cooking on the stove, for about 2 minutes then place in a 400 degree oven for about 10 minutes or until the eggs look firm. 
Easy, home made and delicious, and I have to mention that I mashed up the eggs and potatoes, and my 14 month old baby ate it to the last bite :O)
Enjoy,
Yana

omelet out of the oven in my iron skillet



3 cut up potatoes,


No comments:

Post a Comment