Thursday, January 20, 2011

Everyday Stuffing....

Why should stuffing be a Thanksgiving only dish?  In my opinion, if something is good and easy to make, it should not be made once a year, and that's why I make my Turkey Sausage Stuffing whenever I feel like it. The thing is, this dish doesn't scream out thanksgiving, so you can get away with making this any night for dinner and although it probably doesn't sound that good, trust me it is.  I was even trying to come up with another name for it, just to make it sound better and more appetizing, obviously I couldn't.  When I make this dish, it is always eaten to the last bite, so I definitely recommend you try my recipe below.  I like to serve the stuffing with some kind of beans.  This time, I made my ketchup and garlic red kidney beans.  You will be so surprised at how good these beans are.   Simply open a can of large red kidney beans, and rinse them with cold water.  In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and a crushed clove of garlic, then add about 1/3 cup of ketchup and the beans.  Stir and cook for about 2 minutes.  Done! Top with chopped dill or cilantro to make it extra fancy.. Also great cold.

Turkey Sausage stuffing:
1 lb sweet Italian turkey sausage,you can also use chicken sausage ( not cooked)
1 medium onion
2 stalks celery
1 large carrot or about 6 baby carrots
Caesar croutons
directions:
Step 1- take the meat out of the casing ( thin film that raw sausage comes in)
Place the meat in skillet with 2 TB spoon olive oil and start browning, break up into small pieces while you are cooking it, saute the sausage until golden brown.Should take about 10 minutes.
Transfer to a bowl
finely chop the onion, celery and carrots. the smaller the better
Clean the same skillet, add 1 TB spoon olive oil and saute the trio (onion, celery, carrot) in the skillet until golden. 2-3 minutes,  Add 1/3 cup water and saute for another 2 minutes.  you should have some liquid left over in your skillet.  Add this cooked mixture to the cooked sausage in the bowl.  Add about 1 cup croutons, and mix.  Let stand for about 5 minutes.  Transfer to a baking dish and top with some more croutons, as much as you like,  and bake for 25 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven. Serve hot.  ( the recipe serves 2-4)  Once you try this dinner combination, you will no longer think of stuffing as a once a year dish. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment