Thursday, January 27, 2011

Polenta...

Polenta has never been on my radar, until Sunday.  I was watching the food network and Melissa D'arabian, the host of Ten Dollar Dinners, was making polenta.  I have never made it before but the show really sparked my curiosity about this dish, I had to try it.  I may have had polenta in a restaurant but didnt really have any recollection of when and where, obviously it wasn't that memorable, so when I was making it I really had no idea what it will taste like.  Sometimes its good not to have any expectations because when a dish comes out great its that much more exciting. I'm sure polenta can be made many different ways, mine came out rich, creamy, and sooo delicious.  I really didnt even have a recipe, all I remembered from the show was that its a 7 to 1 ratio, 7 parts liquid and 1 part polenta.  Also on the show, a slow cooker was used to finish it off, I don't own one so mine was just cooked over the stove on very very low heat for about 30 minutes. This was an experiment so I didn't serve it with anything, but I can see serving this under some type of meat, like a veal/pork chop, or some kind of a roast.
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
4 table spoons yellow corn meal
few dashes of salt
1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
In a nonstick saucepan, bring the milk and polenta to a boil over medium heat, stirring with a whisk.  Once it starts boiling, reduce the heat to low and simmer for about half hour, stirring with a wooden spoon every few minutes, once its gets thick that it starts pulling away from the pan, add the cheese, mix some more, cook for another 2 minutes and done.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I love polenta! Especially fried up the next day! Yumo!

    ReplyDelete