Thursday, June 16, 2011

a Mexican inspired meal...

I declined to order Blockheads for lunch today, and instead took a stroll down 5th ave only to realize the city has been taken over by food trucks.  Its a new generation of eating out of fancy food trucks, not your regular hot dog stands.  While I walked by a Mediterranean, Korean and fish and chips truck, I ultimately chose a Cuban Truck.  I cant say my food was amazing, but for a food truck it was pretty good, however that's not saying much for the truck.  I think the whole point is to offer AMAZING food, and my chicken sandwich was about a 6 out of 10.  But back to my inspiration, blockheads is a tex mex place in the city and I decided I wanted to make Mexican for Dinner.  This meal was very quick to prepare, thanx to a few shortcuts, and most of it done while holding my 20 month old little boy in one arm because he loves to watch me cook.
I made a pilaf rice and grilled chicken topped with pico de gallo, and a side of  refried beans and guacamole.
Lets start with the easiest:
Pico De Gallo - very good when prepared fresh, today mine came in a glass jar, a mixture of onions, tomatoes, and peppers, Goya does a pretty good job.
Refried beans - black beans from a can, washed under cold water, fried on a pan with a little oil and shredded cheddar cheese, this takes a few minutes over a medium flame, mix and mash everything together.
Guacamole - 1 avocado, mashed and seasoned with salt and freshly squeezed lemon juice
Chicken - 4 thin sliced chicken breasts sliced in thin strips and fried with salt and paprika
Rice - a Pilaf rice mix, cooked according to package instructions.
I cant tell you how delicious this meal was, you'll only have to try for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment