Monday, June 27, 2011

Goodies from the Garden: String Beans


Summer is my favorite time of year, not only because of the warm weather, but also because I get to plant my vegetable garden.  Every year I try something new, but there are always staples: Tomatoes, Peppers, String Beans, Zucchini and Arugula are a must!  They are easy to grow, and just so delicious especially knowing they are super fresh and organic.  I picked some wonderful string beans from my garden and decided to make something new.  Tonight I made Balsamic Chicken with string beans and cheese tortellini mixed with tomatoes, feta and basil.  I must admit, I was a little nervous putting this meal together because there were alot of ingredients, but somehow they all worked together.
Balsamic chicken: serves 2-3
1 medium onion  sliced in thin rings
2 chicken breasts, cubed
20 string beans, trimmed and cut in half - steamed for a few minutes
Sautee onions in olive oil until golden, move them to the side of the pan, and add your chicken, season with salt and pepper, continue sauteing until chicken pieces turn white, add string beans, mix everything together, and add about 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar.  Cook on medium heat for about 3-5 minutes.
Cheese Tortellini Salad:
1 package cheese tortellini cooked and drained
1/2 diced tomato
1/3 cup crumbled Feta
few basil leaves - chopped
Mix everything together while the cheese tortellini is warm, serve warm or cold
Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment