Sunday, June 5, 2011

Creamy Corn Soup!!!!!

You only realize how many people read your blog when you stop blogging and suddenly everyone starts asking " what are you cooking" and "why aren't you blogging", the answer is I am cooking and I still take pictures almost every night, I guess that doesn't really count.  So here I am, back at it, and I've got lots to blog about.  Where should we start? How about today's experiment.  I've been making Split Pea Soup for ages, its actually a simple recipe I came up with myself.  It starts with sauteing chopped onions, celery and carrots in olive oil, you add water and dried split peas, a few cut up potatoes, a little salt and just let that cook for about an hour, mash everything up and you've got yourself a great soup.  Today, I decided to try something new, everything the same, except I substituted dried split peas for fresh corn.  The Result....Delicious.  Try for yourself.
Creamy Corn Soup - serves 3-4
1 medium onion
1 large carrot
2 stalk celery
1 leek - washed well
2 - fresh corn, cut from the cob
2 large potatoes-cubed
In a Large pot or dutch oven, sautee the onions, celery carrot and leek in 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil until golden.  Add corn and about 4 cups of water, bring to boil, then reduce heat. Add salt ( start with 1 teaspoon and then taste and see if it needs more) Add potatoes and simmer for about 45 minutes to an hour.
Turn off the heat and let cool.  I then used a hand held immersion blender to cream the soup.  If you don't have this handy tool, you can always use a potato masher, or a real blender to get it really creamy, just make sure to cool the soup first. I garnished with a dollop of sour cream, fresh ground pepper and basil. Enjoy 

No comments:

Post a Comment