Thursday, February 17, 2011

Basic with a Twist...

 Growing up, the most basic meal consisted of mashed
potatoes and chicken cutlets.  You can’t get any more Russian than that.  It’s simple, so good and very quick to make. When I cook, I love giving the old classics a twist.  That’s exactly what I did tonight; I added an Asian inspired rainbow slaw to the classic and instantly took it to a new level.  I found this package of salad in the supermarket last weekend and decided to give it a try.  It’s made up of shredded broccoli stems and cauliflower stems, as well as red cabbage and carrots.  The combination is refreshing with a great crunch.  I knew that this salad mix needed just a bit of cooking, so for the Asian inspired slaw I pan fried about a cup and a half it in a little olive oil then added about 2 tablespoons of my favorite Asian sesame sauce, topped it with some toasted slivered almonds, about 2 minutes total cooking time.  Mixed in with the mashed potatoes, this really gave my dish a kick.
For the chicken Cutlets:
1 lb of ground chicken
1 egg
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 teaspoon salt
Mix all together, shape into a cutlet, and pan fry.
Enjoy!!!

chicken cutlets


almonds toasting


No comments:

Post a Comment