Monday, March 7, 2011

A twist on Lo-Mein

I love coming up with my own version of a food I like.  While walking through an Asian isle at the supermarket this weekend, I saw a pack of noodles, this sparked my idea for tonight's dish.  A Lo Mein with Chicken Vegetables and Cashew Nuts.  Obviously easy, this dish wasn't your regular Chinese Restaurant style lo mein, which is a pretty heavy dish and almost always greasy, leaving you  sick and in need of tums.  My dish was rather light, filled with lots of veggies, its healthy and delicious.
Ingredients:
2 small chicken breasts- cut in strips
1/2 small red pepper
1 medium onion
1/2 cup- finely chopped cabbage(  used 1/4 of a small head of cabbage)
a bunch of string beans cut halfway
a handful of the slaw mix which includes shredded broccoli and cauliflower stems, red cabbage and carrot
1/4 cup unsalted cashews( optional)
soy/teriyaki sauce
Any type of noodles - (I used bean threads)
note: all vegetables are completely optional, add or remove vegetables as you like or whatever you have in your fridge.
I started by sauteing chicken in a wak, about 3 minutes until white, add about 4 tablespoons of teriyaki sauce, few dashes of soy sauce, add onions, sautee for 2 minutes, add remaining vegetables, and cashew nuts and continue to cook for another 5 minutes on medium heat.  If there isn't enough liquid add more teriyaki sauce. 
I cooked noodles according to instructions, which were to soak in water for 10-15 minutes.  These noodles are very interesting, very thin and see through, and very light.
Add noodles to the wak, and mix everything together, cook for another few minutes. Transfer to plate and top with some crushed cashew nuts.
Enjoy!!

cut up veggies, excluding cabbage


No comments:

Post a Comment