Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Food on Demand: Hummus

I realize there’s nothing easier than buying a container of hummus at a supermarket, but for me, besides the pleasure I get from making my own food, I love the idea of food on demand, I can make whatever I want, whenever I want it..... 
I really like Hummus, it’s such a simple flavor, straight forward and delicious and also pretty healthy.  Basically it’s just mashed up chickpeas.  I’m very aware that middle eastern people take pride in their hummus and even talk bad about each other’s hummus as if it’s a competition on which is better,  I on the other hand am not an expert on hummus and usually go by the Sabra hummus taste in the supermarket, and occasionally at Greek or Middle eastern restaurants.  I’ve wanted to make my own hummus for a long time, just never bothered to stock Tahini in my pantry since I couldn’t think of any other use for it.  Finally a few weeks ago I got a can of Tahini and my hummus was just waiting to be made.
I got this recipe from a food blog but cant remmeber which one so I cant give it credit.  Try for yourself!!

Hummus ( I used canned chickpeas and forgot to add garlic and it still tasted great)
1-1/2 cups freshly cooked chickpeas (or a 15-ounce can)
3 to 4 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice
3 tablespoons tahini (well-stirred)
1 medium clove garlic
2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
optional: toasted sesame seeds and smoked paprika for dusting on top
If using canned chickpeas, drain them under cold water and shake dry.  Put chickpeas, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, tahini, garlic, 2 tablespoons water, cumin and salt in a food processor and process several minutes until very smooth.  Add more lemon juice if desired and a little more water to make a smooth consistency, if necessary.  Pack into a shallow dish or spread the hummus on a large plate.  Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds and smoked paprika, if using.  Makes 1-1/2 cups

No comments:

Post a Comment