Monday, March 21, 2011

Blogworthy Dinner.....

I cook dinner almost every night, why then have I not posted a blog in almost 2 weeks???? The answer is Blogworthyness...well no, that's not the only reason, I have been busier than usual, but the truth is, I only like to post what I think is a really exceptionally delicious and creative meal in my standards :O)
Tonight I made Chicken cubes with spinach and feta cheese, mashed potatoes with whole grain coarse mustard, and sauteed vegetables.  The combination was delightful, my husband even went so far to say  " its the best meal you've ever made", I don't know about that... it's probably the best meal I've made in a few weeks. 
What are chicken cubes? In essence they are just like meatballs, but its the square shape that makes them unique, fun, and very delicious because they get brown on all 4 sides and juts look very pretty especially with the green spinach that runs through them.

For the Chicken cubes: 
after

before


1 LB ground chicken
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup Italian bread crumbs
handful of chopped spinach
feta cheese ( not sure how much I used, if its crumbled, probably 1/3 cup)
Mix together all of the ingredients. Eggs and salt first, then breadcrumbs, finally the spinach and cheese.  Line a baking sheet with foil, spray the foil with cooking spray.  Shape the chicken into cubes, ( wet hands help the chicken not stick to your hands)  Preheat oven to 400, bake for 20 minutes, then take out and flip the cubes and bake for another 15 minutes.   I like to broil at the end, to get them nice and brown.
For the mashed potatoes: 
I used about 10 russet potatoes with skin on, you can also use yukon with skins,
Boil and salt water, throw in cut up potatoes, cook until soft, drain and add 1/2 tablespoon butter, 2 tablespoons milk, and about 2 tablespoons grainy mustard.  This really adds a unique flavor to the potatoes. If the potatoes are too dry you can add more milk or butter or mustard.
For the vegetables - (the trick is to cut up all the vegetables in the same shape)
1/2 red pepper
1/2 zucchini
10 string beans cut up lengthwise
1 small onion
Heat olive oil in a skillet, add onions, ad 1/2 tablespoons butter, cook for 1 minute, add remaining vegetables and lower the heat and cover, cook for abut 7-10 minutes until vegetables are soft and translucent.
Enjoy!!!



 

2 comments: