Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Something New.... A Rice Casserole

 It should not come as a surprise to you that I love food shopping.  I can spend hours in a supermarket, especially Fairway. I sometimes even lose track of time, just going up and down the isles looking at different products, thinking of new things I can make.  There are certain staples that I usually keep in my fridge at all times. 
1. Certain vegetables  -  potatoes, celery, carrots, onions, a pepper, broccolli, zucchini, scallions
2. Chicken usually in the freezer and a package of Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage - raw or cooked
3. Some type of rice/pasta and a few canned goods, beans, chickpeas
The above Ingredients can be combined into hundreds of delicious combinations.  Making up new dishes is one of my favorite things to do, so naturally on my way home from work I was trying to come up with a new way to use the Chicken Sausage.  I eneded up making a Casserole with rice, zucchini peppers and sausage with some baked beans on the side.  The combination was delicious.  Every bite had all the ingredients and the baked beans added a sweetness to the dish. Try for yourself:
Ingerients: (veggies can be substituted to your liking)
3-4 cooked Italian Chicken Sausages- Diced
1/2 Red pepper - diced
1/2 zuccchini- diced
1 scallion
1 package of of Rice
cheddar cheese
Cook Rice according to instructions. In a large skillet fry the diced chicken sausage until brown, add scallion, zucchini and peppers, cook for about 5-7  minutes unntil everything is golden. Once the rice is cooked, add to the skillet, mix and transfer to a baking dish, top with cheese, bake at 350 for about 20 minutes.
Heat the beans in a dish until hot.
Enjoy
step 1- cook all the ingredients
finished product
rice and canned beans i used

No comments:

Post a Comment