Monday, May 16, 2011

Okra....

I'm always looking for a new ingredient and Okra was my inspiration for tonight.  Although you can hardly call okra something new, for me it was, as I have never cooked with it before.  My entire meal today was built around the okra.  Here was my thinking, okra in some kind of a red sauce,  I started with a chopped onion and garlic, sauteed that in olive oil, added a can of crushed tomato.  At that point I knew I needed a starch so I added 3 diced potatoes and a diced yellow squash.  I let this cook for about 30 minutes, then added a can of vegetarian baked beans, salt, pepper and paprika to taste and a few dashed of Tabasco sauce.  I served this over some chicken meat loaf , recipe right off the Lipton soup mix. ( I cooked the meat loaf on a sheet tray to make it extra thin.)   I have to admit, half way through cooking, I really wasn't sure how this will taste, but it really came together and was delicious.
chicken loaf baked on a cookie sheet

No comments:

Post a Comment